Breakfast Shake recipe (Hypoglycemic Diet Strict & Lib)

This is my go-to when I have some serious cravings! It's sweet, nutritious and satisfying, with many options that I include in my TIPS at the bottom of the recipe =) This starts off as a basic eggnog recipe!

Please be advised, I use raw eggs! You can substitute some protein powder or egg substitute, but make sure you use some protein to help curb your hunger, or you will be snacking on less healthy alternatives!!!

Ingredients:
1 cup whole milk (whole milk has less natural sugar than the lesser cream milks and will aid in weight loss)
1 egg (or equivalent protein substitute)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp rum flavor (or maple flavor)
1 Tbsp (natural and healthy) Xylitol or other sweetener
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 wedges of cantaloup (frozen is preferred)
2 ice cubes
1 Tbsp protein shake (optional, as thickener)

Blend well. Serve and enjoy!! :)

Tip: Use too much sweetener? Or just too sweet? Pour back in blender with 1- 2 Tbsp (un-whipped) whipping cream and blend for 2 minutes :) TOTALLY fixes it and is SO yummy! :D

Tip: for weight loss(HG strict), use the cantaloup or small amount of strawberries only. All other fruits are higher in sugar and will not be as helpful with your weight loss program. Also, substitute cream with a pinch of salt for milk to aid in loosing weight. Cream has no natural sugars! Today I used Whipping Cream (the un-whipped kind) instead of milk and it was DELICIOUS!!!

Tip: This is a fabulous substitute for a meal when you are running late, or a great snack to take with you to work, just pop a few ice cubes in there to keep it cold and shake it up every now and then.

Tip: Use other berries instead of cantaloup and add 1 tsp ground flax for some essential omega oils and roughage! (Flax does not go well with the cantaloup!)

Tip: I personally am not a huge fan of protein powders and shakes, as they have no many weird ingredients in them, and I prefer the more natural, from scratch recipes. But I bought this container of protein shake back before I started on my diet and didn't know anything about doing shakes. So of COURSE I feel obligated to use the stuff up!! LOL! So, I put a Tbsp in there, and it does add a little thickness and keeps all the yummy spices from sinking to the bottom. But it sure is gonna take me years to use the stuff up!! LOL :D So there you have it! my take on protein powders!
Do you use protein powders? in what and when did you start??

Tip: This morning I made my shake with whipping cream instead of milk, and I think it worked the same as the protein powder for keeping it from separating! I think this is a much healthier alternative to protein powder to be honest, it's much more natural!

Comments