French Toast and berries recipe (HG Lib)

SO, I have to admit something to you! I LOOOOVE sweet things, but I hate sugar! lol ;) This being said, you will notice a lot of my recipes are sweet, with out the sugar! I love to mix salty with sweet, sour with sweet, tangy with sweet. Sweet things just don't taste as yummy with out the dichotomy!  SO, when I use blueberries or strawberries, I always add a couple raspberries to offset the sweet! I add lemon or lime to the apple and cantaloup, and I add a pinch of salt to my cream :)

With that introduction, and without further adieu, here is my recipe for healthy French Toast:

Whole Wheat, sugar-free sourdough bread (click here for recipe)- 1 slice
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup frozen berries
1/2 tsp Xylitol (or other healthy sugar alternative)
1/4 tsp maple extract ( I always use artificial due to my medication- see why here)

whisk egg, vanilla, cinnamon together. Cut 1 slice bread in half and soak in egg mixture until almost completely soaked in (about 5-10 mins)

During the soaking time, measure out your 1/4 cup frozen berries- I prefer a mixture of blueberries and raspberries, but you can do strawberries if you are trying to loose weight. Heat up frying pan to medium-low heat with 1 tsp butter.

Once egg is almost all soaked into your bread, place in frying pan and gently pour remaining egg on top. Put lid on frying pan and let cook for 5 minutes. flip french toast and cook another 5 minutes. Once done, put on plate and scoop frozen berries, Xylitol and maple flavor in frying pan, turn on high and fry for 1 minute, using spatula, scrape all berries and juices onto your french toast. Serve and enjoy! :)

Tip: the reason I use frozen berries as opposed to fresh is the juices you get when they are frozen is better. This way you don't need syrup :)

Tip: I love to use as much protein as possible in my meals, as they make you feel full longer, and you are less likely to snack on un-healthy alternatives! This is why I go through the trouble of soaking the bread- you want as much egg as possible in your meal! ;) I am also a firm believer in a balanced diet! Make sure you get your 1/4 cut of allowed fruit- even on the strict diet! You need the vitamins and minerals among other things that fruit provides! :)

Tip: sweeten it up even more by adding some homemade whipping cream on top! :)

Comments